Monday, June 8, 2009

AT&T: ignorance and greed personified

The greed and ignorance of AT&T never ceases to amaze me. They claim to have one of the largest networks in the country, yet for some reason they are known for having the worst coverage.

Now that the iPhone 3GS has been announced they (AT&T) have dropped the ball once again. Well, at least three times in my book. 1. They are the only carrier to not offer MMS for the iPhone by the launch date. WTF? Why is this so hard for them to do seeing as how they offer it for other models in their line up. 2. They will be the only carrier to not offer a tethering package at launch of new iPhone. 3. They are not offering an upgrade price to older iPhone users based on how much time they have left on their contracts.

Checking AT&T's site I can get an upgrade price at the end of Feb, 2010. This puts me into the last year of my contract. Not a very good deal for me, as first gen iPhone users were offered an upgrade price. Perhaps Apple will offer a better deal after enough customers grumble. Maybe they won't.

Bottom line is if Verizon becomes a carrier before AT&T allows me to upgrade I'm jumping ships. I've missed Alltel's superior network since leaving them for the iPhone so perhaps I can be happy once again.

I hope you get the message loud and clear AT&T. You are pissing off your strongest customer base. Do you really want all of us mad at you and ready to leave at the first chance? Many of us broke contracts to get an iPhone with you, so what makes you think we won't break your contract on your crappy network to go with someone offering a sweeter deal? I hope your PR people are having nightmares and fits over all the bad press you are receiving and I PRAY Apple works out a deal with another carrier in the very near future!

For now I'll do what I've been doing. Enjoy my awesome iPhone and complain about the service I get with AT&T. In fact, that should be a T-Shirt. Q: How do you like your iPhone? A: I love it, expect for AT&T.

If I only had a dollar for every time I said that...

2 Comentários:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the MMS and Tethering are ridiculous but the upgrade terms aren't.

If you'll recall, the first (original) iPhone wasn't subsidized by AT&T. The 3G was, so they are doing the same thing that all the other cell phone carriers in the US do when you want to upgrade your phone.

Bobby said...

True. However, if Apple wants to continue growth they have to show new customers that they still take care of existing ones as well.

If they are going to release a new model each year, then the contract should only be one year allowing those of us that like to stay on top of the new trends do so. Besides, what difference would it make if I were to extend my contract by two years now or one year from now. The end result is the same, I'm with AT&T for another two years...